Fleet tracking is the use of GPS and telematics technology to identify, locate and monitor one or more fleet vehicles in real-time. A vehicle fleet tracking system combines the installation of an electronic GPS tracking device in a vehicle, or fleet of vehicles, with web-based computer software. This enables a fleet manager to track a vehicle’s location in real-time, collecting all sorts of data in the process – from vehicle diagnostics to driver speeding alerts.
A modern fleet tracking system can help any business that requires the use of a vehicle to get the job done. This includes a wide variety of businesses – anything from a construction company, an HVAC company, and any type of a delivery service – from flowers to serving court papers.
A very polular study named “Improving Productivity and Profitability through Service Fleet Management” was published by the Aberdeen Group, March 2008. The fleet management report measured the main reasons cited by businesses seeking increased efficiency through the implementation of fleet tracking technology. The desire to improve the customer experience through better response times was listed as a top priority by 73 per cent of fleet repondents.
The study also that when implementing a fleet tracking system, companies often realize the following:
- A 23% increase in the total number of service calls completed per day per technician.
- An average of a 46% increase in the percentage of time that service technicians arrive within the promised response time, directly relating to the issue of improved customer satisfaction.
- A visible increase in customer retention with the adoption of the system.
- A 16.4% increase in service revenues because of improvement in customer service alone.
With this evidence, it is clear that a fleet tracking system can work wonders to help companies better service their customers. FieldLogix has helped hundreds of companies retain existing customers and win new accounts with their GPS tracking capabilities.
FieldLogix helps companies improve customer service by:
- Improving response times to customer calls
- Improving billing accuracy
- Improving ETA accuracy
- Allowing you to notify customers if fleet drivers are running late
- Acting as an effective marketing tool
Managing vehicles with a fleet tracking System also saves time and money. Here are some other key fleet tracking benefits:
- Lower fuel costs – Tracking fleet vehicles with GPS easily prevents excessive idling, speeding and personal vehicle use. It also helps to improve routing and helps the average fleet reduce fuel costs by 13%.
- Reduction in labor costs – Monitoring of your drivers helps you vastly decrease employee costs and time card abuse. GPS truck tracking saves an average of $5,484 per employee annually!