Fleet GPS System with Driver Training Cuts Fuel Costs
Here is a list of the best ways fleet managers can cut vehicle fuel costs.
- Educate your fleet management team and train your drivers. Successful fuel management starts with drivers. Proper training can improve fuel efficiency, reduce fuel expenses and vehicle emissions.
- Keep the load as light as possible. Excess weight places unnecessary strain on a vehicle’s engine and greatly affects its fuel efficiency.
- Use a fuel management system to lower fuel costs and increase productivity. The best systems are telematics enabled systems which overall fuel efficiency, vehicle performance, tracks fuel waste due to idling, speeding, etc., and identifies critical areas to improve efficiency and reduce fleet fuel costs and emissions. Fleet GPS management systems such as FieldLogix can save in wasted time and fuel every day.
- Upgrade to more fuel efficient vehicles. If possible, invest in modern, fuel-efficient vehicles.
- Tune-up vehicles regularly. Have a well-managed maintenance policy in place. A well-maintained vehicle performs better, improves fuel efficiency, reduces toxic emissions. In the long run, well maintained fleet vehicles cost less to operate. Routinely check tire pressure inflation. Proper tire inflation not only increase fuel efficiency , it can improve vehicle and braking performance, and extends tire life.
- Implement advanced mobile asset management technology. You can measure and manage a fleet better when you have the right information. Tracking miles traveled, average speed and engine efficiency is critical to cutting fuel costs. Mapping software and fleet GPS vehicle tracking systems will eliminate unnecessary miles. Less time on the road means less fuel consumed, less wear on vehicles, decreased expenditures and overall increased productivity, plus lower toxic emissions.