Handheld Golf GPS System Reviews 2010
Garmin Approach G3 Golf GPS
The Approach G3 is a more affordable version of the Garmin GPS for Golf G5.
* Detailed golf course maps give precise distance information about fairways, hazards and greens from any point on the golf course
* The GPS device will continuously update your position and show you the distance to each target
* The Approach G3 steps away from our traditional recreational product line to bring something brand new to the golf market at lower price point
G3 has a smaller screen than the G5 (2.6 inches diagonally, vs. the G5’s 3 inches and has about an inch less in height and width. However, it still has many of the great G5 features, including:
* Free pre-loaded golf course maps in the U.S. and Canada plus free updates.
* Touchscreen operation and touch-targeting.
* Hole preview.
* Digital scorecard (but no stats pack).
* High-sensitivity receiver.
Golf GPS System Reviews 2010
Garmin Approach G5 golf GPS
* Rugged, waterproof golf GPS unit with 3-inch sunlight-readable touchscreen display
* U.S. golf course maps preloaded, including fairways, hazards, and greens
* No annual fee; new maps available for download from Garmin.com
* Measure shot distance with highly sensitive readings to eliminate guesswork from your game
* Digital scorecard for up to 4 players; save and review scores on your computer at home
The G5’s features have easy-to-follow menus on the touchscreen. The best part is Garmin preloads a database of 14,000+ courses for free, and adds courses and updates for free via its website. The database is fairly extensive and should have most of your local courses. A nice feature is that it can show distances to and from anywhere on the course just by touching and dragging. Touch your target for a distance, or touch and move the flag for precision distance. The G5 also has a good score-keeping utility.
The Garmin GPS Approach G5 for golf retails for $399-440 but I found it for sale online for $300 at Amazon.com.